The Lagos State Police Command has arrested 10 suspects allegedly linked to the repeated vandalism and theft of public infrastructure on the newly constructed Lagos Coastal Road.
The
state Commissioner of Police, Fatai Tijani, disclosed this on Wednesday during
a press briefing and parade of suspects at the command headquarters, Ikeja.
He
said the suspects were arrested on August 17, 2026, following intelligence
gathered during investigations into the vandalism of the road infrastructure.
The CP
added that vandalised iron materials were recovered from the suspects during
the arrest.
He
identified the suspects as Courage Ogbemudiah, 19; Michael Janes, 25; Muhammed
Mustapha, 25; Muyideen Ola, 32; Emmanuel James, 18; Tadious Nanius, 28; Anthony
Nucase, 23; Makinde Muize, 30; Bolaji Raji, 30; and Waliu Kabiru, 28.
For detailed information on our editing services, please
see inside
“Vandalised
iron materials were recovered during the operation. Preliminary investigation
indicates that the suspects are linked to the incessant vandalism of the
Coastal Road infrastructure. The suspects have also made statements regarding
their alleged involvement in the offence,” the police boss added.
He
also noted that the command was working closely with the relevant authorities
to ensure that those responsible for the continued destruction and theft of
public infrastructure are brought to justice.
Tijani
said preliminary investigation indicated that the suspects were connected to
the incessant vandalism of the Coastal Road infrastructure and had made
statements regarding their alleged involvement.
“The
command is working closely with the relevant authorities to ensure that those
responsible for the continued destruction and theft of public infrastructure
are brought to justice,” he said.
In a
related development, the CP said a 28-year-old man, Chidiebere Ochiri, was
arrested for allegedly vandalising and stealing government-installed CCTV
camera cables, irons and other infrastructure on the Third Mainland Bridge.
He
said, “During interrogation, the suspect confessed to the vandalisation and
carted away cables connecting CCTV cameras, and some irons installed along the
bridge and its environs. The suspect further stated that he had been involved
in the activity for several months and usually sold the vandalised copper wires
to scavengers and scrap dealers at about N12,000 per kilogramme. One quantity
of copper wire was recovered as an exhibit.”
Tijani
said the investigation was ongoing to arrest the suspect’s alleged accomplice.
Meanwhile,
the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Olufemi Dare, who represented the
Minister of Works and Housing, Dave Umahi, disclosed the extent of the damage
suffered by the coastal road project.
Dare
said no fewer than 1,800 manhole covers had been stolen from the superhighway
between January and August 2026.
He
explained that the manhole covers formed part of the underground drainage
system constructed along the road, adding that vandals break the concrete
covers to remove the reinforcing irons inside them.
Dare
added that the vandals had also removed about 1,000 metres of the clear-view
fence installed on both sides of the road to separate the highway from
surrounding communities.
He
said, “If you go to Coastal Road, the drainage system we have there is an
underground drainage system, but at the ground level of it, you have what we
call manhole covers.
“We
use manholes to cover the drainage. So what happened is that between January
and now, we have 1,800 of these manholes that have been stolen- 1,800 of them-
and what they do, what these vandals do, is to break the concrete cover and
remove the reinforcement that is in it.
“You
know that this manhole is just small; it’s less than one metre by one metre,
and so when they remove the concrete, they break it and remove the iron that is
inside. That is not all. We have this clear view fence.
“If
you go to Coastal Road, on both sides, it’s made of iron. Clear view fence on
the right-hand side, clear view fence on the left-hand side to screen the
community away from the Coastal Road. So we have a situation whereby these
criminal elements, they go there, and they remove. And between January and now,
1,000 metres, which is one kilometre, of this clear view fence have been
vandalised, have been taken away.”
Dare
added that about 75 directional signs installed along the road had also been
cut down and stolen.
The
Federal Controller expressed concern over the continued vandalism, saying the
destruction of the infrastructure was undermining the purpose of the newly
constructed road.
He
said the authorities were concerned about the scale of the vandalism and were
working with the police to address the situation.
“We
will not relent on our horse. We will not watch as these criminal elements,
these few criminal elements, come and disturb what the federal government is
doing. A lot of money is being pumped into that project.
“We
all know, in trillions, that’s the truth, not billions, in trillions, from here
to Calabar. And so, some people are determined to come and vandalise some of
this. It is impossible.
“Again
and again, I would want to thank the Lagos State Commissioner very, very highly
for deploying men and women, vehicles, in addition to the few we also have
there; they deployed their vehicles, they deployed the men of the Nigerian
police there, to ensure that these criminal elements are brought to hook. Day
and night, they are there on the road,” he added.







0 Comments:
Post a Comment